Straw Art Activity
We worked on a small art project. The blue and green watercolors were used to create a sky/grass background. Students blotted the paint while wet to create clouds. While the paintings dried we talked about wind and explored two poems about wind.
The Wind
I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass --
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!
I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all --
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!
O you that are so strong and cold,
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you a beast of field or tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!
Who Has Seen the Wind
Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you;
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing thro'.
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I;
But when the trees bow down their heads
The Wind is passing by.
Winds move across our planet because of convection -- the transfer of heat from one place to another most often with liquids and gases (oceans and atmosphere).
Here are some links to learn more about convection:
- Steve Spangler Science Colorful Convection Currents
- STEM Works -- Wind Energy (links to lots of experiments and activities)
- NOAA Convection Currents PDF
- Convection and Wind PDF
and some about the Coriolis Effect:
Here are some additional resources for exploration of Winds:
- Maps for the Classroom (Compass Rose)
- The Lad Who Went to the North Wind
- Weather Folklore and Sayings (NOAA)
- Aquarius Visit to an Ocean Planet
- Prevailing Winds Map Activity
- NASA Investigating Climate System Winds
Next week we'll be getting to more specific kinds of weather. See you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment